Inspired by readings for my art direction in film class on the history of architecture, fashion, and color palettes, I am creating an interactive timeline to consolidate key dates and movements throughout visual history. It centers on the history of art, architecture, fashion, film, and pop culture.
The timeline is a work in progress, which I expect to build over the next month or so. I emphasize the 20th century, with a few key dates and movements from the mid-to-late-19th century which serve as precedents for major movements in later years. Below is a preliminary list of sources used to develop the timeline.
Here are examples of other projects tracing visual histories of specific elements of culture that I find inspiring:
- Visual History of Ancient Hairdos: Animation by The Atlantic
- 20th Century Hairstyles: Animation by The Atlantic
- A Brief, Animated History of Transportation: Animation by The Atlantic
- Top Fashion Trends of the 20th Century: By Good Housekeeping
- 100 Years of Beauty Project: including 100 Years of Beauty, American Men Hairstyles and 100 Years of Beauty, American Women Hair and Makeup
- Women’s Ideal Body Types Throughout History: By BuzzFeed Video
- Women’s Swimsuits Throughout History: By BuzzFeed Video
- Eiseman, Lee, and Keith Recker. Pantone: The 20th Century in Color. San Francisco: Chronicle, 2011.
- Gympel, Jan. Historia de la arquitectura de la antigüedad a nuestros días. Koln: Konemann, 1996.
- Landis, Deborah Nadoolman. Dressed: A Century of Hollywood Costume Design. New York: Collins Design, 2007.
- Tietz, Jurgen. Historia de la arquitectura del siglo XX. Koln: Konemann, 1999.